Saturday, June 8, 2013

Maintaining


Straight to it I guess.


School -

So I got an A in my 2 week intersession class Evolution and Ecology. It was a pretty interesting course and the teacher did a very good job of making 4 hours of class 5 days a week bearable.

I just recently started my 5 week session I class Biostatistics.  The teacher is really nice and has his notes online.  Also didn't have to by the book, which for someone that is financially challenged like I am, I really appreciate that.  :)   I really think an A is doable in this class, I had Business Statistics, and regular statistics in the past.  So as long as I show up to class and do my homework I should not have a problem.

I am also starting a home study Pre-calculus class AGAIN...  The Coursa.com class I started before is no longer available. I going to try this Math 101 website.   I just need to brush up enough to take the CLEP exam, so I can go straight to calculus.  There were no pre-calculus classes that fit my schedule at the community college this summer or in the fall.   I also cant really add it to the my university classes for fall because that will add on to my tuition, and I just cant afford that.


Work -

Scribing
So this is still a bit of a rollercoaster although the peeks are becoming a little less dramatic. Or I guess I should say the valleys are improving.

I had a shift with one of the docs they only let the seasoned scribes work with and actually survived it with a compliment at the end of my shift, so that was very helpful in my overall confidence in this job.

I have a shift today with another of the more challenging docs.  If that goes well, I will have only a couple more "hard" ones to work for.

***** update: so I survived the shift today with the other doc.  It seem to have gone well for the most part. This doc is pretty specific in the way they like to see the information presented, so I tried to really remember all the dos and don'ts for each chart. Luckily today was not a super busy day.  I think I did ok , but the doc didn't go over all the charts before I left, I hope the mistakes were minimal.  This particular doc documents all the mistakes in an email to the ED lead doc, who then reviews it and sends it to the chief scribe, who then gets onto us about it.  So that's kind of scary.  But there was no yelling or berating, so I think that means I was successful.  :) ********

 A couple days ago had a very nice shift, with a doc that I had at the beginning of my training who was very encouraging at the time.  I had the opportunity to work with her because someone needed a trade.  She s just an overall nice person who enjoys her job and helping others.  NOT saying the other doc don't, just it is very obvious that she does.   She is also one of the docs that really explains what she is doing and shows you findings on labs and imaging.   So it was a really great night!

On a related note, I am considering taking my scribe hours down to the part time schedule. First, because of the classes in the fall, and second to find a second job that pays a bit more.   I am burning through my resources, and I want to get ahead of it before I wash out.   But I cant let it interfere with the end goal, so that's going to be a challenge.   Which is why I have to do less scribing.  You can only take 10 hour shifts, where as I could possible find a why to do multiple 5 hour or so shifts on a as needed bases.

A lady at my daughters studio posted a link about needing a babysitter.  But I feel a little weird as an adult that has a child older than hers asking her about the job.  I may go ahead and do it though.  Because in the end its about getting the goal.  Not my pride.

"The Plan"

So far, still mainly on track.
I am going to commit to registering for the January MCAT next week.
I called the local med school about my post-bac application review, but they referred me to email a lady who just so happen to be the lady that told me to call.
I emailed her again, but she has not responded.  I am thinking about stopping by the office on Monday after class to see if I can speak to someone face to face about it.  (Thanks for the idea Rocki)

Still need to get back on the volunteer train.  I am going on 1 year of no volunteering activity. Its just a bit challenging right now to find the time.


Our Chief scribe is leaving, and I was talking to another scribe at work and she was like, if this person has been here for like 2+ years, has been Chief scribe for 1+ year and still didn't get into her schools of choice, what does that mean for the rest of us...    That was a pretty scary thought, but you have to remember that application process is complex with multiple variables.  And each person plugs in different variables into their equation.  It could have been anything from grades, # of schools applied to, # how a person did in their interview,  and so much more...

I can only hope, I find the right equation to progress to the next level.  I have given up a lot, and I plan to work hard to achieve it.


My Rug rat -

She is doing pretty well.  Got grades back for the year.  She had mostly A's and Bs,  there was one C but it was a 79, so I am going to let her do her summer dance camps, and stay in dance next year. 

She still continues to grow,  she tried out for the Teen team next year ( currently on Juniors 1 level below). She feels like it went pretty well.   One of the docs where I work seen her dance at a school function and complemented her on her talent.  It was like.  "I remember you saying she danced, but she was actually really good" LOL. 

She as nationals next week, so we are heading out for a 13 hour drive next week, I have to miss 2 days of class and an exam.  :(  But my professor was willing to allow me to take it when I get back.  So that was pretty awesome.

Next years school situation is still stressing me out, I originally sent in the "decline" for her current school, but was offered another option from the director.  I have until Monday to decide what to do.  It is really driving me crazy.   You want to make the right choices for your children, and when you have two things to choose between and neither are "bad" that makes it even more of a challenge.

My mom continues to be a tremendous help as always.


Life -
not a bunch going on, outside of what's above.  Had a great conversation with my big bro yesterday and he was very encouraging.

lease is about to be up, tried to look around to see if I could find anything less expensive.  And really the only thing that looks decent are mobile homes or income restricted apartments. 

I'm not totally sure how I feel about either.  I may go look, but I wont be saving a significant amount maybe approx. 100$ a month  or 1200 a year.  Which is a decent amount when you make minimum wage, but after you throw in moving cost, and time off your back to around 700 dollars a year.

There just seems to be a few big decisions that need to be made, and I think stress myself out about trying to make the "right" one. 

I had to stop running for a week. I hurt my toe, doing back flips on a trampoline.  But I am starting back slow.  I am determined to have a significant increase in my running endurance by my birthday!  I decided I am not going to sign up for anymore 5Ks until I either meet my personal goals, or have someone that will train with me.

Hmm I think that's all the big happenings I wanted to document.

No comments:

Post a Comment