Tuesday, June 25, 2013

To post-bacc or not to post-bacc... that is the question (to which i have no answer)

So I called and emailed the post-bacc** contact for the application review, and didn't hear back.   So I just decided to stop by on my way from school yesterday.  The main contact wasn't there, but another representative offered to give me as much feed back as she could.

It basically boiled down to.
I was a borderline for admission but
  • I only had 1 LOR from a science professor/medical professional
  • My previous degree was not science enough
  • No research or strong exposure to the field
Her recommendations
  • Take upper level Bio classes
  • Get another 1 or 2 LORs
  • Retake MCAT since it will hit 5 years by 2014 application

All very good info, but basically these are all the things I am trying to do to apply to Med school in May. 

So now I need to decide if I should apply to the program, or just Med school

My initial concerns regarding applying to the post-bacc are:
1. I would have to move my MCAT date up to at least Oct or Nov
2. My financial reserve wont last 18 months.
3. The program is SUPER competitive and if you are not in top 5% it can hurt you more than help.
4. I am afraid to put off trying to get in Med school another year, I'm not getting any younger and I want to get in before "life happens" and I cant.

Timeline ( Post-Bacc v. Med School )
August - 
Sept -
October - Retake MCAT (post-bacc target)
November -
December - Post Bacc app Opens
2014
January - Retake MCAT ( Med school target)
February -
March -
April -
May - Post bacc program starts
        - Apply to Med school for 2015 admission
June
July
August
Sept
October
November - Med school interviews start
December
2015
January
February
March
April
May - Complete Post-bacc program - Apply to Med school for 2016 admission
June
July
August - Med School Starts

If I apply to post-bacc AND medical school AND get into both
1. I will still need to complete the program and work in interviews somehow
2. I will not be able to work (more loan money)
3. The only true benefit of the program would be early exposure to the material


If I apply to post-bacc AND medical school BUT only get post bacc
1. I will be ready to reapply the following May
2. I will have a foot in at my local Med school if I perform well

If I ONLY apply to post-bacc AND get accepted to post-bacc
1. Good prep, if I do well I have a good chance of getting into a med school
2. Good exposure to rigor of courses
3. Expensive
4. Delay med school for 1 year
5. More loans accumulated, and more interested on deferred

If I ONLY apply to Med school BUT do not get accepted
1. I cant apply to program until December 2014
2. Will be in similar scenario that I am in now
3. But I could get in some A&P at community college and also apply PA.


                                     OMG!!!!  Decisions Decisions


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**post-bacc:
Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programs
A number of schools offer postbaccalaureate premedical programs to assist individuals to pursue a medical career after they have already received a Bachelor's degree.
The purposes of these programs vary. Some are designed for persons wishing to change careers; these individuals have not yet completed the science courses required for medical school application. Other programs are designed for persons wishing to enhance an existing academic record; these students have taken the requisite courses, but need to improve their GPAs to increase the competitiveness of their medical school applications. Still other programs are specifically designed to assist persons from groups currently underrepresented in medicine or from educationally or economically disadvantaged backgrounds. 
source: https://services.aamc.org/postbac/

No comments:

Post a Comment