Monday, April 21, 2014

International Medical School



So a young lady I used to scribe with posted on Facebook she would be starting at Ross University soon.   Ross is one of the big 3 medical schools in the Caribbean.   I had previously thought about this option for years, but always a bit apprehensive about it for a few reasons.

1. There is a lot of conjecture about how hard it is to find quality clinical rotations during 3rd and 4th year and difficulty finding residences after graduation.

2. They are VERY expensive with tuition, living, and food you are going to leave with about 250+ grand in debt.  Where as with some state schools you can stay in the 150 range ( if you are resident of that state).  Also there is a lot of up front expenses.  You have to pay 1500 in deposits, you have to get plane tickets, shots, first & last months rent, shipping crates, books and everything.  And you are not always guaranteed to have your financial aide before all you need to move and start class.

3. And one of the bigger ones for me is Jordyn.  I would have to take her with me, which is a cool experience, but would be hard as a single parent.  Or I would have to leave her here for 18 months with someone (most likely my mom)

4. I have read horror stories about their administration and support. 


I eventually just put it out of my mind and decided if I can get in to school in the US, it just wasn't going to happen for me.   But when this post popped up it got me thinking again.  And I start to think of the a few postives of me going.

1. They start 3 times a year, so I could be in medical school by New Year's.

2. There are thousands of people who were successful at getting through the program and finding residences and jobs.

3. I think I need to be away from a well known area and friends to really do well in medical school.  It requires a lot of time and focus to get all the material down and ingested, and If I have nothing else to do but school I think that would help.


I have no idea what to do, had another week with no word from the MS program, had my last day of work already.  So its just been stressful all around not knowing what direction to turn.

ugh... my life right now

No comments:

Post a Comment