Friday, February 1, 2013

What is a Scribe?

 
So I have gotten this question a lot,  and have found it a bit hard to express the scope of the job.  I usually end up saying,  " They chart for doctors in the Emergency Departments"
 
Well, I started my scribe training on Thursday, and I tell you what.  There is a lot of information to learn.   I think we end up with like 6 quizzes in our 5 day training class that we have to pass to move on to, actually training in the ER.  
 
Once we are in the ER we have 6 - 10 more quizzes along with evaluations by trainer scribes and physicians. 
 
So far I have passed my first test.  We have one in the morning, which I should be studying for now.
 
anywho... my purpose for this post was to put the PhysAssist Inc. description of what a Scribe does.   There were about 3 long paragraphs and R&Rs.  I just went with R&Rs.  :)

         ---------------------- per PhysAssist website.  www.iamscribe.com --------------

The overall objective of the Scribe is to assist the physician with documentation, expedite patient flow through the emergency department and to decrease the duration of individual patient visits.
                                
                                             What do scribes do?

Scribes provide real-time charting for physicians by shadowing them throughout their shifts and performing a variety of tasks, including recording patients' histories and chief complaints, transcribing physical exams, ordering x-rays, recording diagnostic test results, and preparing plans for follow-up care. Each shift, you will be assigned to a doctor or physician assistant and work alongside with them as they see patients. This means you will be in the room during each evaluation, documenting directly from the conversation between the provider and patient.  

© Copyright 2009 PhysAssist Scribes, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment