Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Almost there...


I had a couple of friends reach out to check on me.   Thank you so much for thinking of me.  

What's the haps?

I flew out of DFW 8/28 and the last leg from Puerto Rico to Dominica was canceled due to the damage done to the area by hurricanes Danny and Erika.  

I have been in San Juan since Friday, but the school has been amazing.  They are paying for hotels and giving a food allowance.  There are over 200 students here and some on 3 other nearby islands. 

The school campus is not damaged and as of 8/31 all electricity, water, and communication has been restored in the school and near by areas.  

The airport is not opened yet and the roads are not consistent.  

But the school will start as planned on 8/7.  The plan so far for us in Puerto Rico  is to fly to Guadalupe starting Today (I leave Thursday) and then take a Ferry to Portsmith where the school is.  

It was nice to have a basically free mini vaycay , but we are missing orientation and that week we had to get settled and acclimated.   

It was a chance to meet other students. But to be homest as kind of a quite non-traditional career changer, some of these folks are a bit much.  So much competition and the need to feel superior or awesome in conversation is kind of annoying.  I spent a lot of time in my room.  Unfortunately the Wifi in the hotel is inconsistent so no Netflix or Internet. Just reading and TV.  

  
Any who. That's were I am at now.  Hope all is well with anyone who stops by to read this.    

Here are a couple picks from walking around old San Juan, PR




4 comments:

  1. Phewwwwww...wow that was a close call. ... soooo glad you both are OK. ..I'm a mom too as you already know, and I was really worried for you guys... THANK GOD IT'S OVER...I know you were like not now please. .. Glad to hear that the school is so accommodating. ..very unusual too. Well your almost there.. keep fighting sis...it's gonna happen. Cheering for you all the way.

    Njdr2b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad we all made it safe. The journey was ruff, but its only just begun. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on this new journey that you are about to embark on. Its good to know that you are safe in all of the hurricane madness. Puerto Rico looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was very beautiful! But I was ready to get set up at school and get into the right head space.

      Delete